When we first conceived of the Kitchen & Bath Channel Smartphone App it was based on a simple scenario that all kitchen and bath professionals have experienced.
A customer arrives at your showroom having just left your competition (or a big box) because it wasn’t the “right fit”. They are in the mood to buy and you got lucky because they “somehow” arrived at your front door!
What if you could direct customers to your front door WHILE they are out shopping? Through the Kitchen & Bath Channel Smartphone App, all kitchen and bath professionals within a 50 mile radius of the customer’s exact location appear on the map. With the touch of an icon (for the featured listings) the customer has access to your website, to auto-dial your phone number, step-by-step Google map directions to your front door, samples of your projects and more!
The apps have been available since late April. Downloads and session times grow daily. Current and prospective subscribers love the concept, but often times ask questions that send us researching stats (see “Getting Your Share of $150 Million” and “Using Today’s Technology to Reach Today’s Customer“) – such was the case again this past week when a prospective Platinum subscriber asked the question, “Are people really using smartphones while they are out shopping?”
Here is what I found:
The website Digby, in an overview of Mobile Commerce Stats validated our assumptions.
- 46% of consumers have used their phone to get product information while in a store
- 56% of people believed mobile can make the shopping experience more enjoyable
- 34% of mobile shoppers make $100,000 or more a year
- 58% of mobile shoppers are ages 18-34; according to the Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard University this demographic (under 35 year olds) accounted for almost $12.5 billion in total expenditures with remodeling professionals during 2009.
- 31% of consumers research a product on their mobile device before buying it in-store
- Within the 49% of mobile users who have made a mobile purchase in the last six months
- 84% look for local retailer information
- 73% find a specific manufacturer or product website
- 63% search before purchasing in a store or from a catalog
- Among smartphone owners 38% prefer using a mobile application
- Mobile commerce showed 86% year-over-year growth from 2010 to 2011
While kitchen and bath professionals understand that buying a new kitchen is not something you can click and purchase from a mobile phone, the conditioning of the consumer to turn to their smartphone for shopping is clearly on the rise.
The Kitchen & Bath Channel provides the kitchen and bath professional an easy and cost effective entrée to the world of mobile research, shopping and Generation Y – those born after 1975.
For as little as $200 a year, the Kitchen & Bath Channel keeps up with the expanding technology and its implementation in marketing your business, so you can concentrate on designing kitchens and bathrooms!