Just when you thought you had a handle on marketing your kitchen and bath business the rules are changing again.
There are a number of recent statistics that may shock you and should (at the very least) put your current marketing plan on trial.
- We now spend more minutes each day with apps than we do with web sites. On average 81 minutes are spent with apps compared to 74 with web browsing. The increased usage of smartphones and digital tablets (such as the iPad) is credited for the new reality.
But as the many kitchen and bath professionals I speak with tell me – “that doesn’t affect me, my clients are older and smartphones and digital tablets are in the hands of kids.” – if you subscribe to that concept, the reality doesn’t support your theory. According to an August 2011 Nielsen study, demographics break down evenly.
- Smartphone Owners as of Q2 2011:
- Ages 35-44 19%
- Ages 45-54 20%
- Ages 55+ 18%
- 50% are Women
- Tablet Owners as of Q2 2011:
- Ages 35-44 17%
- Ages 45-54 18%
- Ages 55+ 19%
- 43% are Women
As you begin thinking about your marketing plans for 2012, these numbers should represent a guide. Yes, you still need to consider traditional marketing to stimulate the customer – TV is a good bet (as an aside). But beyond that, are you supporting your digital and social efforts with allocated and dedicated resources.
- Is your entire website visible on mobile devices?
- Do you have a mobile version of your site?
- Do you have a presence on a smartphone/mobile device app?
- Have you allocated resources to maintain your social sites?
The 4th quarter is when most of us pull together our budget and marketing plans for the following year – your leads in 2012 will be coming from a new reality (in addition to a new economy) – be prepared!