I am truly amazed by the speed at which we are not only exposed to new technologies and platforms, but are required to leverage and embrace them. And with each new love affair, there is a savvy marketer discovering how we should make it a part of our integrated marketing plan.
There was a time when we had the time to warm up to a new technology before we “needed” to employ it. According to Advertising Age’s History of Advertising 1704-1999, 1704 saw the first newspaper ad; it took 218 years, until 1922, when the first radio broadcast was sold to an advertiser. 19 years later, in 1941, the first TV commercial, featuring a Bulova watch hit the air. Ahhh… a simpler time. We could take our time to get comfortable with the new-fangled fads.
But today, we are required to move at warp speed – consider that the first web browser was born in 1990, by 1995 the web had an estimated 16 million users, three years later there were 147 million users that went to 500 million by 2001. Facebook launched in 2004; YouTube in 2005; Twitter in 2006; the iPhone in 2007; the first Android smartphone in 2008; and the iPad in 2010. Each one of these technologies/platforms/innovations has become an integral and required aspect of our integrated marketing programs.
As you begin your 2012 marketing plans, keep these truths in mind:
You need a presence on mobile devices:
- 40% of Tablet & Smartphone owners use them while watching TV (Nielsen)
- 17% of women / 21% of men looked up product information because of a TV commercial (Nielsen)
- 79% of consumers use a smartphone to help with shopping (Google: ZMOT)
You need to put video to work for you – on TV… online …on handheld devices.
- 37% of shoppers were stimulated to make a purchase decision by a TV ad (Google: ZMOT)
- 83% of moms say they do online research after seeing TV commercials for products that interest them (Google: ZMOT)
- 74% of consumers remember an ad when viewed across media platforms (TV+PC+Phone+Tablet) (Nielsen)
- In August of 2011 YouTube was the 5th most popular web brand with 127.9 million visitors, spending 1 hour and 42 minutes EACH on the site (Nielsen)
- Q2 2011 – 36.2% more Mobile subscribers are watching video on a mobile phone than a year earlier (Nielsen)
These are just two critical areas, but there are more… and as the technology advances, you need to be ready to make it work for you in bringing leads to your kitchen & bath showroom.
Consider developing a fully Integrated Marketing Program for 2012 where you can leverage your resources to best fit your market, your customer and your budget. And, of course I am always available to help you get started. Email email@example.com to get started